FAST NEWS - Here's a quick update on the latest going's on at VIPA Racing:

May 2011


Still grinning after a fantastic weekend at Cadwell Park. Qualifying was wet and, due to a liberal coating of oil round the entire length of the circuit, incredibly slippy. The 43 entrants were split into two sessions and we were first up. I clearly played it far too safe and found myself 10th quickest of the 20 drivers in my session. The 2nd locost qualifying session was a bit drier and on average 9 seconds a lap faster than our groups times. Luckily the organisers appreciated this and amalgamated the times.


I therefore found myself 7th / 28 on the grid for the heat. The fastest 13 drivers had gone straight through to the final, the rest of us were racing for the remaining 15 places. I knew a win would only put me 14th on the grid for the final so I had to give it all I'd got.


I made a decent start and began climbing my way up the pack. As is usual in locost we were racing in a swarming mass where places change constantly. Having worked my way up to 3rd I got a great run out of the 3rd corner and along the back straight and managed to out break everyone into Park and take the lead!


This was my first time ever leading a locost race and the sight of all that open tarmac was fantastic. The view in my rear view mirror, 28 squabbling locosts, was a bit more scary so I tried not to look! I knew that it was only lap 3 and my chances of staying in front for 20 minutes were pretty slim. My only option was to push hard and try and break away...yeah right. All that happened was one very fast lap followed by a lap where my tires complained like crazy before I nearly lost it under the trees and everyone caught me up. On the start finish straight I was shuffled back to 4th. :-(


Back on a charge it took me the next 6 laps to work my way back up to second where I rather conveniently happened to be as we crossed the line for the penultimate time. Thinking I had accidentally timed this to perfection I made my move and overtook round the outside of the first corner. I was leading once again and it was the last lap all I had to do was keep it tidy and bring home the win. Sadly, or maybe not, locost racing doesn't really work like that! All that really happened was I got slip streamed into Park corner and Lee retook the lead and the win. oh well. That's not to say I was disappointed. Would I have liked the win - of course but I was pretty pleased with second and 15th on the grid for the final gave me a fighting chance of a nice points haul.



The final - started 15th finished 6th: more details coming soon...





2011 Calendar:


Race 1: Brands Hatch - 17th of April - Finished 7th
Race 2: Cadwell Park - 8th of May - Finished 2nd and 6th
Race 3: Snetterton - 22nd of May
Race 4: Mallory Park - 12th of June
Race 5: Donington Park - 2nd of July
Race 6: Donington Park - 3rd of July
Race 7: Snetterton - 31st of July
Race 8: Snetterton - 31st of July
Race 9: Silverstone - 28th of August
Race 10: Silverstone - 28th of August
Race 11: Pembrey - 24th of September
Race 12: Pembrey - 25th of September
Race 13: Donington - 9th of October
Race 14: Donington - 9th of October



22.12.09 - 2010 Calendar


   Apr 5             Castle Combe    2 
Apr 24/25       Brands               2 
May 29/30       Anglesey          2 
Jun 19             Brands             1 
Jly 10/11          Cadwell           1 
Jly 31/Aug 1    Pembrey          2 
Aug 28             Silverstone      1 
Sep 18/19         Snetterton       2 
Oct 2                Oulton             1






Site finally updated with new race reports and photos - sorry its taken so long


Rebuild going well: now have new front end, radiator, nose cone, scuttle and bonnet. Now all I need to do is put it back together :-) I'll be back for Snetterton




Its been an interesting couple of days. 72 hours ago I lined up on the grid at Brands Hatch ready to start Saturdays Locost final. I'd had a terrible qualifying session (just drove too slow) and had qualified 31st!! Not to make the top twenty is bad but I've never missed out on the top 30 before! the good news was I'd made some changes and couldn't wait to race...


The lights went off after an age of waiting and my charge began! Several laps later the red flags came out and i retook my position on the grid in the mid twenties, things were looking up...again the lights went out and again I went for it and another few laps in had overtaken my way up to 18th! Kev Lucas was also on a charge and I spent three corners side by side battling with him for position before he got

half a cars width ahead and I tucked in behind him.. I had a new plan if he was going up the grid I'd go with him!


I came down the hill out of druids tight on his tail and rocketed in to Graham Hill bend...sadly it was too quick and I ran wide heading higher up the kerb than usual. the back end snapped out i grabbed it back spun (may have been tagged, I don't remember getting it but  there's a big dint in the back of my car) and speared off on to the wet grass. At this point my car accelerated and all I could see was tyre wall. braking was futile and I braced myself for the big impact as I went head first in to the only thought...this is going to hurt! It did but not as much as I expected. Then everything went in to slow motion and I ducked as car parts, wings and headlights flew over my head.


The car came to rest and i killed the engine and jumped out and over the tyre wall. I then stood and watched as my radiator emptied its contents in to the grass and my locost just steamed!


The leaders came round twice more and i could see Samir was in the lead and heading for his first win (congratulations Samir) so i clapped them all home and then went out to survey the damage.


(One of the nicest parts of this accident if there was one was that almost every driver slowed down and checked to see if i was ok on their way past on the cooling down lap - thanks guys - your great)


I was so convinced that the car would mend and be back out the next day that i got sent to see the doctor before I was allowed in the recovery truck and on closer inspection I could see why. My chassis was wrecked! :-(


Back in the paddock there were lots of offers of help and a group of us (James, Jason, Keith, Richard and me) began stripping the car. The more we removed the worst the chassis looked and when it became really obvious that about 8 bars were buckled and bent I finally admitted it wasn't going to happen and the new goal became getting it in the lorry. An amazing group of drivers and helpers who must have all had their weetabix that morning picked up my car like a giant wheel barrow and soon it was back in the truck.


Thank you soo much to everyone who helped, offered parts and generally came to my rescue - I really really appreciated it.


As i write this I've spent an evening and this morning before work dismantling the car and its now just about ready for its new front end. I've stripped all the brake cables, electrics and ancillaries and the engine is out and sitting beside the car... I'll definitely be back but it might not be in time for Donington.




Only three days before we head off racing again and I can't wait. This time its off down to Dover! It will only take four or five hours this year thanks to the lorry's new Christmas present (see my 08 race reports if you don't know what I'm on about) Last year it took six hours each way!


With two twenty minute races on the Saturday and two 30 minute races on Sunday afternoon the marathon sessions this year should be in the car not the truck! Having started my racing career (if you can call it that) in endurance karts I love the longer races...and at Lydden there is do danger of big gaps opening up, its short enough I should always find other cars to play with even if they are lapping me or I'm lapping them (wishful thinking :-) maybe...)


Gary and I have made a few mods to the car including a newly designed throttle pedal. At Snetterton keeping the pedal to the metal resulted in a very sore leg and a bruised foot. (It was a long reach and I was pressing far too hard in a bid to make the car go faster). This time I should be able to get my foot down much easier!


I'll update you very soon as to how it all goes :-)


Talk soon






28 -02-08 Apologies for the long delay in updating the site. Lots of updates coming soon....heres some of the stories coming up soon:


                  Cars nearly ready - with a few new improvements


                   I've won an award for racing!!


                   A new sponsor will be announced


29-05-07 - Things have been manic, since last post I've raced 3 times, tested twice, crashed it once and driven about 5 thousand miles! Got a new nose cone rad and race suit and finally found a heater for the lorry although it was in the race reports to find out more!


28-03-07 - A late start caused by thick fog at Cadwell meant we took to the track at 13:45. Graeme demonstrated what the car could do first then it was my turn to get behind the wheel. Slowly building up speed I was very impressed with how well the car handled. Graeme's instruction was really good and he quickly identified the three corners where I was loosing speed. A few more sessions and I was really starting to get the hang of it. I was even attacking Hall Bends properly - my bogey corner of last season. Unfortunately the day was cut short by an accident but I had an hour and a half in the car and came away with lots of things to work on. There are so many points which are going to help that I've now covered a circuit diagram with notes.  I don't want to forget any of it before we race at Cadwell in June!  - Ok so this isn't really quick news but it was great fun and I wanted to tell you all about it!


26-3-07  - Still on cloud nine after Donington my week got even better on Monday when I got a call from Femtrack (the women only track day company) they'd just collected a brand new Honda Civic Type R and wondered if I'd like to help them shake it down at Cadwell. There were offering a brand new car, a fantastic race track and tuition from Graeme Glew who used to run the race school there! :-)

25-3-07 - Got my highest ever finish and first elevated points in a fantastic race at Donington - Why not read the race report now! Just click on "2007 Season"

23.3.07 - Ok so it's not Friday yet! But when it is I'll be building beds in the lorry, ready to sleep in Friday night. Fixing the rear lights on my car and trying to persuade the number plate it wants to sit vertically!

19.3.07 - The car's fixed! :-) It looks like the problem was a loose magic eye in the dizzy. Hopefully we'll be back up to full speed for donington

14.3.07 - Mallory race Report goes live (click on "The 2007 Season" to see it)

11.3.07 - First Race of the Season and my first ever DNF! :-(

5.3.07 - After an amazing first season I'm back for another one. The Car's been tested at Mallory and the count down timer is showing it isn't long till Sunday! I can't wait...